This post is not meant to be a political analysis. Nor do I necessarily agree or disagree with these views. I’ve caught up with my phone calls and emails and conversations and it’s just to let you know what – some – Iranians (inside and outside Iran) have been talking about around the dinner table these past few days. Especially post-New York.
- Ahmadinejad’s rumored jewish lineage [and its response]
- Talks of possible US/Israeli strikes
- Another topic that comes up over and over again is the possible opening with the U.S. In a very Shock Doctrinesque analysis, some say the post-election violence was to make sure that Ahmadi & Co. got the American prize (that is, they get to open relations) and will pave the way for an economic transformation to (as it goes often) “turn Iran into China”. The story goes that by opening the economy, the green movement may take a blow because young activists will be distracted by McDonalds and H & M.
- Given the previous possibility, all this talk of attack seems rather “convenient” like a very convenient storm for the IRI before it strikes the deal amidst “all the danger” that they are exposed to.
- The “police state” is far worse and much stronger than you can imagine. Ordinary people who have mildly supported Mousavi or who have kids who have done so, are under constant watch, threats, scrutiny and interrogation. I will not bring real stories here, because it will jeopardize the safety of a whole lot of people I know. But I’m just telling you: whatever you hear, that’s just the happy meal version. That’s why the cheesey leftist pro-Ahmadi analysis seems all the more delusional to me.